Sunday, February 28, 2010

Kiss My Shrimp & Grits!

I am so excited about this new dish! Last week my friend Mollie asked me to find her a shrimp and grits recipe. As soon as I got home from church that night I went to the sources. I looked through all my cookbooks and a few trusty on-line recipe sites, and found 12 recipes! I narrowed the search down to three and decided to do something I’ve never done before. I took what I loved from all three recipes and made up my own! I was very excited to see how it would turn out, and am here to tell you it was fine! I even called Mom and told her it was good enough to warrant an hour and a half drive, but they better hurry or I would have it eaten by the time they got here!

I’m so proud of it, I even entered the recipe in the 2010 recipe contest at Mississippi Magazine!

1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
3 cups water
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pepper and parsley to garnish

Bring whipping cream, butter, salt, and water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and whisk in grits. Cook until thickened, whisking often. Stir in cheese until melted, set aside and keep warm.

Cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp; remove bacon from pan. Cook shrimp in bacon grease over medium-high heat until almost pink, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice and garlic and cook a few more minutes. Stir in bacon.

Stir shrimp mixture into grits mixture and serve. Garnish with pepper and parsley.





Mollie, this one’s for you babe! Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I feel so special :) Now I want my favorite chef (that would be you) to come visit and make it for us, because I can gar-rone-tee mine won't be as good as yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! You're too sweet! And I think that sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Thank you for linking to my blog. I love Shrimp and Grits. I live near Crooks Corner where they "supposedly" make the best in the country but I don't think they do it right. Your recipe is more to my liking (cream!). I'm going to bookmark this so I can read more. This is the kind of cooking I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!!! Hope you enjoy! By the way, I love your blog! I did the college program at WDW and am still amazed by that place!

    ReplyDelete