Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

And last, but certainly not least was our first Valentine’s Day! By far the best V-day I’ve ever had! It all started Friday the 12th. We woke up to nearly three inches of snow! It was so beautiful, and I could not believe we got so much! And of course we did what every 26- and 30-year-old kid should do… we built a snowman! And named him Jack!



And we walked around the neighborhood admiring God’s beauty…



And we enjoyed just being together :) …




Saturday was the day we actually celebrated Valentine’s with a wonderful home-cooked supper! Kyle grilled us a steak and I made shrimp-stuffed potatoes, which were nothing more than twice baked potatoes with shrimp added to the mix. Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen!

3 large Idaho potatoes
vegetable oil for coating
4 tbsp butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Monterey Jack
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
1 lb shrimp, peeled and sautéed
paprika

First, let me say I wanted the fresh shrimp David gets from the coast. But since we haven’t been home since Christmas and may not go back til Spring Break, I had to settle for the frozen shrimp ring at the grocery store. Not too bad, I have to admit. Even though the shrimp was already cooked, I sautéed it anyway with paprika, cayenne pepper, and lemon pepper to give it some flavor. Second, I know I’ve told you I pick up the pre-shredded cheese mixes for convenience, but this time I decided to go all out. I bought a block each of the cheddar and Monterey Jack and used a cheese grater we got as a wedding gift. Oh my gosh! To get excited over a cheese grater is probably a bit nutty, but that thing was awesome! I may start venturing out with specialty cheese as our budget allows since I can now grate with ease. And of course wine pairings! :)

Now for the recipe. Preheat oven to 350°. Wash potatoes, dry them, and gently prick them with a fork on all sides. Coat each potato with vegetable oil, place on foil covered pan, and bake for approximately 1 hour. Place butter in large bowl. Remove potatoes from oven and slice each one in half. Gently scoop out potato and place in bowl. Using mixer on high speed, mix potatoes, butter, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Fold shrimp and both cheeses into mixture. Gently stuff mixture back into potato shells, making sure not to break them. Pile mixture as high as you can on top of potato shells. Sprinkle each potato with paprika for color. Bake in oven for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until browned on top.

Very tasty!

I decorated the table all pretty and romantic…





And for dessert we had champagne with strawberries and sugared chocolate beignets!


This was my facebook status that night: “In honor of the Daytona 500, we’re drinking cold beer. In honor of St. Valentine’s Day, we’re eating steak, potatoes, and chocolate. In honor of the Saints winning the Super Bowl, our chocolate is Sugared Chocolate Beignets. And in honor of Black History Month and my husband graduating from an HBCU this summer, we’re jammin’ out to The Temptations! I think we have all our bases covered!! :)”

Super awesome Valentine’s Day with my husband! Don’t know how we’ll ever top this first one!

No comments:

Post a Comment