Friday, February 19, 2010

Free Vacation?

January saw unseasonably cold temperatures in Mississippi, and Jackson was no different. With below-freezing temps and the forecast of rain, people started getting antsy about the weather. No real snow to speak of, but the busted water lines in downtown Jackson caused just as much a stir! It was the Monday before Martin Luther King holiday. I was running late as usual, and stressed about all the things I needed to get done, again as usual. I have to interject a warning here. I hung out with and was “one of the” boys for a very long time, and I still have a bit of crudity to my ways. I was so frustrated that morning, and I remember texting Kyle on my way in to work telling him I’d give my left nut for a day off. He told me he loved me! Thank you, God, for sending me a man that gets me!

Anyway, at 11:45 that morning our agency received an email that Governor Haley Barbour had declared Jackson a state of emergency. Apparently our building and many others downtown had lost water. Specifically our email stated, “State offices in Jackson will close at noon, and non-essential state employees in Jackson may go home.” Now I wasn’t sure which was funnier, that I was a non-essential employee or that I got to go home on a random Monday at noon! Either way, I was ecstatic, and thanked God the whole way home for hearing my cry (as un-lady like as it was) and for my afternoon off.

Well my afternoon turned into four wonderful, productive days! And to make it even better, Kyle didn’t have school because the water crisis affected Jackson State too! I did, however, feel bad for the folks living in the downtown area. I tried not to brag too much about my time off because some were having to choose between flushing and showering.

I made the most of it though, cleaning and organizing and whittling down the perpetual thank-you note list. And of course, I did a little cooking! I tried my hand at homemade cinnamon rolls, which turned out scrumptiously good! A bit heavy, but will definitely make again.

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup buttermilk
1 stick butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk


Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl and mix well. Stir in vegetable oil. Add buttermilk and stir just until blended. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll dough into 15 x 8-inch rectangle. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 9-inch round baking pan. Spread butter over dough. Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle over butter. Roll up rectangle, jelly roll fashion, starting from one long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut roll into 1½-inch slices. Arrange slices, cut side up, in prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour milk over top. Serve hot.

Trust me on the milk! It’s divine!



No comments:

Post a Comment