Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Taco Bake

Looks like we are a bit behind on the blogging. Someone once told me planning a wedding was time consuming. I can second that now!

I didn’t cook anything new the next week after baking Mammaw’s cake. I did get good reviews from the ones who tried it. Reed went back for seconds and David asked for a whole one next time. Makes a girl feel good! :)

On to the new stuff! Last week Mom and David came to town and got to be guinea pigs for a new dish I’m going to call “Taco Bake”. I got the original recipe out of the Betty Crocker Bridal Edition cookbook. It seemed rather easy, and I didn’t have to buy a thing. My kind of dish! I cooked a pound of ground beef, seasoned with lemon pepper, and drained. I mixed one cup salsa and one can ranch style black beans with the meat until boiling, stirring occasionally. I placed two cups coarsely broken tortilla chips in an ungreased two quart casserole, and topped with meat mixture. I spread one-half cup sour cream on top, then one jar of Dad’s canned tomatoes (a store-bought can or chopped fresh one would work just as well I’m sure), and finally one cup shredded cheese. I can’t tell you what flavor because I’m not sure what we had that week. It was probably sharp cheddar or a fiesta blend. I baked it uncovered for 30 minutes at 350°. It was scrumptious! We all decided it was missing a little something. Had good flavor, but needed a little kick. I happened to have black beans so I used them, but the original recipe called for chili beans, so I’ll probably try that next time. Also may try a little cilantro with the meat and possibly some jalapenos. All in all, high five on the Taco Bake!




2 comments: