Monday, October 5, 2009

Chicken Pie, Acorn Squash, Peas, Fried Green Tomatoes, Homemade Ice Cream…. And Monday Night Football!!

Ok first things first, I’m loving Brett Favre and the pink shoes for Breast Cancer Awareness in October! Kick butt, homeboy!

Tonight was actually leftovers, believe it or not, all except for the squash. The chicken pie was a new recipe from Mrs. Darlene’s cookbook that turned out awesome! Definite high-5! I’m not going to post the recipe just yet though, because I want to tweak it a little and cook it again. Peas were from Dad’s garden, green tomatoes and acorn squash from the farmers market, and homemade ice cream courtesy of the new ice cream maker attachment Mom and David gave us at the Couples Shower that fits our KitchenAid stand mixer. Man, I love country cookin’!

Since I’m not posting a recipe tonight, I want some feedback from ya’ll. Has anyone tried to cook acorn squash before? I’ve had it at Mom’s once, but this is the first time I’ve cooked it. I did what it said on the sticker: sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, filled each half with butter and brown sugar, and baked it at 400° for 30 minutes. It was really good and had great flavor, it just didn’t scoop out very easily. I felt like I wasted a lot of the meat. I guess the easy answer might have been to peel it before eating it instead of trying to scoop. Any other suggestions or recipe ideas?

Oh and Chad, your potato soup is coming tomorrow! It’s been perfect weather for it the last couple of days…

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to share that tonight I cooked a gourmet meal consisting of Sonic cheeseburgers, deep-fried tater tots, and large cokes over crushed ice. The children dined on gerber cereal mixed with Similac with just a hint of apples. It was divine.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rocks!! You SOOO have to send me the recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL :) It may be too complicated for you. Save it for when you're a little more experienced in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Have I told you lately that I love you?! :)

    ReplyDelete