Thursday, September 24, 2009

Parmesan Chicken

For the very first testing I decided to use a recipe card from the shower given to me by Dad’s first cousin Bruce’s wife Terri. (Did ya get all that?!) She didn’t get to come to the shower, but sent the cutest Cinderella card! Ya’ll know I’m a big Disney nut so of course I loved it!

The recipe was for Parmesan Chicken. Super simple recipe, which was the first reason I picked it. The second reason was I already had all the ingredients in the house: boneless skinless chicken breasts, saltine crackers, parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and Paula’s favorite ingredient… butter! All you have to do is mix the crushed crackers, parmesan cheese, and garlic salt for the coating. Dip the chicken breasts in the melted butter, then the coating, and bake them for 35 minutes at 400°. My go-with-its were baked sweet potatoes and fried green tomatoes. Now I love fried green tomatoes, and over the past year I’ve almost mastered the art, but a sliced red tomato would have been better. The parmesan coating made the chicken a bit salty, so something a little sweeter would have paired perfectly. Creamed corn would probably have been good too. I wonder if Mammaw creamed her corn herself or served it out of a can. May have to search the books for that one. You can buy frozen creamed corn packaged like a roll of sausage that I think is pretty good. To be honest I haven’t had it in years, but I used to like it. The sweet potato was great, but didn’t last long with all the other salty stuff. Kyle and I both liked the chicken, so it went into the recipe box to be cooked again! High five for the Parmesan Chicken!

I think I’ll give every recipe a rating of high five, low five, or no five. I’ll also be glad to share any recipes anyone might want.

I’m not sure what I’ll try next week. I would love to try some cakes and pies, but will have to wait until I get some cake pans and a pie dish before tackling those. I do have a Bundt pan, so I could try out Noneine’s Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe she gave me at the shower. Chicken is what we eat the most of and what we keep in the freezer, so there will probably be lots of those recipes tested in the coming months. Dad gave us a deep freezer, which we have already put to good use storing the vegetables from his garden and everything we buy on sale at Kroger. If you have a suggestion or something you would like me to try but maybe don’t have a recipe, shoot me an email or Facebook message, and I’ll see what I can find. I expect I can find just about any recipe under the sun in my wonderful expansive collection of cookbooks! Until next time… eat well!

7 comments:

  1. I am making this tomorrow!!! Putting the chicken breasts in the fridge to thaw right now... The pic is great. Thanks to dad's 1st cousin Bruce's wife Terri.... did I get it right...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it right! Let me know how you like it and what you cooked with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat idea! Thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the Chicken Parmesian for supper tonight. It was really good. Where you mention yours was salty, ours wasn't salty enough...I must not have put enough of the garlic salt in it. But it was SUPER easy to make and I will definitely make it again. I made creamed corn (tube kind)not remembering you mentioned it, so when I reread, I got a laugh...bisquits were the only other side. Thanks for the new recipe for my box!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like, Mrs. Darlene!... Angela, I think I failed to mention I seasoned my chicken with salt and pepper before coating it with the parm mixture. That's probably why mine wound up a little saltier than yours. You might want to try that in addition to adding more garlic salt. Glad ya'll enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canned creamed corn in Louise's pantry? Surely you jest!! It was straight from the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Ronnie and I used to get the frozen creamed corn all the time. We called it "cornlog".

    ReplyDelete